Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

Too Few Teachers Not Connected?

Recently, while on lunch break from a technology in-service on the use of Chrome Books the conversation naturally migrated towards the use of some of the social applications (Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, etc).  There were five of us at lunch so invariably there was five different opinions or opinions directly related to the level of understanding and use of these great social tools by the individual conversationalists (Oops! My bias is showing). But I did notice that the conversation did not get to the effective use of these or any of the social media types in the educational or professional setting ( I take some of the blame for not bringing it up, not that I am an expert on such matters). But like anything in this world the tool is only as good as the craftsman using it (if all you have is a hammer, then everything becomes a nail).
 
I shadow/follow many people/organizations through these social tools for my own personal and professional gain. As a professional you should follow only those people/organizations that you have investigated and their presence will be a benefit to you and you will be a benefit to them (don't just be a taken and not a giver to the community). 

I presently use these tools (personally and professionally):

Edmodo-provides a safe and easy way for your class to connect and collaborate, share content, and access homework, grades and school notices.

Face Book-is a social utility that connects people with friends and others who work, study and live around them.

Twitter-Instantly connect to what's most important to you. Follow your friends, experts, favorite celebrities, and breaking news.

Blogger-is a blog-publishing service that allows private or multi-user blogs with time-stamped entries.

Linkedin-is a social networking website for people in professional occupations. 

Ustream-is a company founded in 2007 that provides video streaming services to more than 80 million viewers and broadcasters

Vimeo-is a U.S.-based video-sharing website on which users can upload, share and view videos. 

Coach's Eye-You can't fix what you can't see! Coach's Eye provides video capture with slow-motion review, drawing tools, and simple sharing.  Coach’s Eye delivers “ah-ha” moments that elevate athletes from good to great.

Nike+ Running- The Nike+ Running app tracks distance, pace, time and calories burned with GPS, giving you audio feedback as you run.

iBook-is an e-book application by Apple Inc. iBooks is an amazing way to download and read books. You would be surprised how many downloads are FREE!!

Below is the link to an article I came across about the use of one particular social tools, called Twitter.  Check it out and respond by to me on this site.  I would love to hear your voice on this matter!

http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/teaching_now/2013/07/are_there_too_few_teachers_on_twitter.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Have a great day!

Dragoncoach1

 


Follow me on Twitter: @dragoncoach1

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I created a twitter account 3 years ago. I used it when I needed to not when I wanted to. Recently, I have realized that I have been missing out on so much learning. I'm taking time to interact and learn. Today, I learned about Scoopit while I was on twitter and I'm excited to build a page to share great articles I find. Who knows what I will learn tomorrow. One thing is for sure, I don't want to fall behind. I want to learn and be involved in the conversation while it's taking place, not when it's over.

Steve Stiles said...

I've never bothered with Twitter and can't speak to its value (it is not apparent to me but Karen says otherwise). Nonetheless, I'm glad for your post and the ensuing discussion. I'm ready to learn otherwise.